14 best ways to get rid of ants:
Ant problems in and around our homes are becoming a bigger problem for homeowners. Our homes are meant to be designed for us to enjoy and hopefully keep pests like ants out.
Brisbane is one of the best cities in the world to live in, that’s my opinion anyway, and I think the ants feel the same.
Over the past 10 years or so Brisbane has had a building boom, and this means land redevelopment.
When land is cut and levelled for new home sites, the process tends to disturb the wildlife and insects that dwell there.
Although a lot of thought goes into the design of a new home, there is no way of making it ant proof. An ant problem at some point is inevitable.
Brisbane has a large number of different ant species; they come in all shapes and sizes. And all can become a problem for homeowners at some point.
There are a number of ways that your ant problem can be brought under control. I will list my best 14 ways to help get rid of ants from around the home.
Let’s first understand some very basic things about ants, some ants; are attacking ants, and others are scavenging ants.
The ones that cause the most problems for customers are the scavenging ants. This is because they like to source easy to find meals.
In most cases, the homeowner themselves are to blame when an ant problem occurs. This is because there are food scraps left around which makes for an easy meal for ants.
So let’s start with the external of a property, as this is always where an ant problem will start from. Ants like to build their nests where there is an easy food source i.e. close to our homes.
So here are some very easy things that all homeowners can do to help prevent ants from becoming a serious problem.
Ant problem outside the home tips to help prevent them:
1. Where do you keep your wheelie bin, yes that’s right the wheelie bin is a major factor in reducing an ant problem? Never leave your wheelie bin up against the walls of your home; this will certainly bring ants inside.
2. The patio area of a house is a place where ants like to frequent; this is again because there are easy food sources available. Keeping these areas clean and tidy especially after a party or family together; as this will help in reducing an ant problem.
3. The garden edges need to be kept trimmed at all times, each time the lawns are mowed the edges should also be done. This will help to eliminate ant trails and disturb their pathways.
Your lawns need mowing so why not; do the edges at the same time; as this also helps in the fight against an ant problem. Let’s not forget ants like to use the same trails, so by making it harder for them; will help in keeping them out.
Ant problem inside the home:
Now let’s talk about the inside of our homes, the internal is a very important place to keep clean if an ant problem arises.
When ants get inside of a home is when most homeowners get the most frustrated with ants. Now let me show you some really easy steps to take to help get rid of ants.
4. So the most obvious thing a homeowner can do; is start by making sure the kitchen area is clean and tidy.
5. Wipe down bench tops after preparing food, especially sweet food items like jams and sources.
6. Use clip sealers for packet foods, when you open a packet of food but don’t use it all, reseal it with easy to use packet sealers.
7. The biscuit tin, use a properly sealed tin to store biscuits in, no one wants to eat a biscuit crawling with ants.
8. The kitchen sink, another place to keep clean, ants need moisture to survive. If dirty dishes are left in the sink it not only provides them with moisture but a meal as well.
9. Fridge seals need to be kept clean; the best way to do this is simply wiping them down from time to time with a damp cloth.
10. The same goes for the dishwasher seal; give it a wipe down from time to time to help keep it clean.
11. Food dropped on the floor can easily be accidentally kicked under appliances. This can lead to a serious ant problem. Food that’s dropped on the floor needs to be cleaned up straight away.
12. Keep the bathroom clean, if you have kids they do have a tendency of dropping toothpaste on bench tops. Any dropped toothpaste needs to be cleaned up straight away if you are to have any chance with an ant problem.
13. Inside pets will pretty much always attract ants; this is because of their food and drinking bowls. Change pet’s drinking water daily and clean up over spills. Never leave cat or dog food in a bowl for long periods of time, and especially at night. Get into the routine of feeding your pets at a certain time, and what they don’t eat put back into a sealed container.
14. Always keep pet food in a sealed container of some kind. If pet food is stored outside a steel container is best, as this will also help prevent rats and mice.
Products to use on Ants:
What sort of ant killer products can you buy to help in the fight against ants? There are plenty of different products in supermarkets and DIY warehouses, but do they work.
One very good product to use for killing ants is permethrin; this is in many different aerosol cans in shops.
Permethrin will kill ants on contact; it starts to break down their nerve system, but there is a problem with this method.
Using a product with permethrin will give a homeowner short-term relief, but the ants will eventually come back.
The reason ants keep coming back after you have treated them, is because the colony hasn’t been eradicated.
Another product a homeowner can buy to kill ants; is an ant gel these can be found in any supermarket these days.
The idea of ant gels is to wipe out the whole colony, but using ant gels can take a long time to get desired results.
Most homeowners get frustrated when the ants don’t die after eating the gels. This is not the purpose of ant gels.
Ant gels are designed to slowly kill the ants and their colony; and this can take a few days or even weeks, depending on the size of the colony.
Where there is an ant problem the colony will have to be eliminated in order to get a more long-term solution.
If the colony is left and not destroyed; they will soon replace the worker ants that you have killed and the ant problem starts again.
Where homeowners want to do their own DIY ant pest control treatment, they need to be prepared well.
It will take a continued effort on behalf of the homeowner to bring a serious ant problem under control.
Many people soon give up the fight against ants and decide to call in their local professional pest control company.
Ant problem services Professional Pest Control:
Hiring the services of a pest control Brisbane company to get rid of an ant problem is going to be the fastest and easiest way.
The first thing a professional pest controller would do is an inspection of the areas under attack by ants.
By doing an inspection and finding ant trails will give a better idea of where the ant problem is coming from.
Knowing where a pest problem is coming from, gives a pest control company the best chances of killing the whole colony.
Killing the colony is a pest controller’s main objective when dealing with any type of ant problem; big or small.
The reason why professional pest control Brisbane companies will be more successful at killing ants; is simply because of their knowledge and the products they use.
Using the right ant killing products is a sure way to bring any ant problem under control. One such product is Termidor.
Termidor is also used during the installation of a termite soil barrier treatment; it has what is known as a transfer effect.
Ants are a social creature and they will groom one another when entering the colony, this grooming is how the chemical is spread throughout the colony.
How Long Does It Take To Kill Ants?
This is the big question isn’t it, how long does it take to kill ants and their colony. If I had a dollar for every time I’ve been asked that question, I’d be happily retired now.
The time it takes to get rid of ants will depend on the size of the colony, and also on the time of year.
During the summer months, ants like all pests around our homes are more active, and therefore easier to eliminate.
In most cases an ant problem would be fully eliminated within 2 to 3 weeks; if the process has been carried out correctly.
Where an ant’s nest is present in a garden bed or lawn, the nest can be flooded with an appropriate insecticide.
Flooding an ant’s nest is the easiest and fastest way to get rid of an ant problem.
If you are having trouble with nuisance ants in or around your home; you can try using some aerosols to bring them under control.
Just remember when using products designed to kill the whole colony; it may take some time to get the desired effects.
If problems persist it’s probably easier and a lot faster to call in a professional pest control company to help.